A new year means a new outlook.
What better way to take control of your life than with some new career goals? This time of year, it’s easy to get inspired to take on a new career, but there are plenty of ways to excel within your current career. Whether you decide to make drastic changes or some simple ones to make your life better in 2019, setting these career goals doesn’t have to take a lot of time or feel tedious. Here are some tips:
· Think about the parts of your current job that you truly enjoy. Maybe you love daily interactions with patients, or maybe you get excited about new technology; whatever makes you happy, increase that. Ask your manager for opportunities.
· If there is nothing about your job you like, it might be time to change careers. But ask yourself if it is the job itself or the environment. You might love the job but dislike the facility where you work or the people you work with; don’t write off the entire field before really thinking about it.
· Look into education, training and certifications. You probably have the appropriate education for the job you have, but what about a better role, a leadership position or a lateral move to a more interesting department? You might need a certification or further training. Taking a class during your free time or working alongside a mentor could mean a promotion, higher pay at a better facility or even the chance to have a more senior title.
· Decide whether career goals for you mean a better title, more money or more freedom. When you make this decision, you can move in that direction. The three might be intertwined at your facility, but if they are not, which one is the most important to you?
· Write down your goals. This is a tactic that experts agree is beneficial. When you write them down, you’re able to solidify what you want to do and create a purpose. Hang them up somewhere and make it a point to read them.
· Set goals for 2019, but as we all know, career goals are sometimes more of a long-term process. Your employer may not promote anyone in 2019, but when you work hard, further your education, start new programs and make a name for yourself, 2020 will be your year.
Career goals can be hard to reach sometimes as several of the variables are out of your control. Decide what is important to you and find an employer that feels the same. By defining your goals, you can take the necessary steps to achieving them.
If you are unhappy with your current job or your current company, consider working with a staffing agency who can find you the perfect position. You’ll share your wants and needs with them and they will place you in the best fit. WSi Healthcare can get you started in the right direction for 2019; whether you want to change healthcare careers completely or simply need a change of scenery, we can help you achieve your goals. Contact us today.