Forecast for this weekend: High of 84, possible clouds in the afternoon. We're fairly certain all the grills at the park are already spoken for, but we're going to head over early anyway in hopes of securing one, and laying out ALL day. Making burgers, flying kites, hanging out with friends and family...It's going to be great.
Turkey and Bean Burrito Burgers
- 1 cup cold leftover white or brown rice
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Palmful chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons, half a palmful, cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, half a palmful
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 4 crusty rolls, split
Combine rice, meat and beans with spices and grill seasoning. Form 4 big patties from the meat and bean mixture then heat 1 tablespoon oil, a turn of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 7 to 8 minutes on each side.
While burgers cook, combine avocado with garlic, lime zest and juice, jalapeno and red onion. Mash to roughly combine, then stir in the sour cream.
Place burgers on buns with lettuce and tomato and top with sour cream guacamole.