Growing up, we were never one for a heaping plate of spinach. The name alone does not conjure up the tastiest of side dishes, and the look of those wet and wilted leaves were none-too-appetizing. But, if you wanted to be strong like Popeye, spinach was a must. Now that we're a little wiser, we see the benefits of the veggie a bit clearer. However, we can now get it via liquid form. Liquid Iron - the name says it all, no?
- 2 stalks red Swiss chard, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped purple kale
- 1 teaspoon loose green tea leaves
- 6 cups still water
1. Place the chard, spinach, kale, and tea leaves in a blender with 1 cup of the water. Puree until fairly smooth, for about 1 minute.
2. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large pitcher, using a ladle or rubber spatula to extract as much juice as possible. Add the remaining water, stir gently, and serve.
High-protein foods such as steak, pork, tofu
Feel free to change the leafy greens in this recipe depending on what is available. Regular Swiss chard will work just as well as the red variety, and green kale is an acceptable substitute for purple.