We haven't delved too deep into the world of the Greek foods here at WSi. For whatever reason, the delicacies haven't come up as often as, say, Thai food, Mexican dishes, and American classics. To remedy this, try a chicken gyro tonight. If you're scared to try something new, just think of it as a rolled sandwich with a light ranch sauce made from cucumber. Easy as that...
Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt (3/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 rounded teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 rounded teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 (12-ounces) package naan bread (four 8-inch pieces)
- or 4 (8-inch) pocketless pita rounds
- 1/2 roast chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded (about 2 1/4 cups), and carcass reserved for stock
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
Peel and grate 1 cucumber, then squeeze it with your hands to remove excess water. Stir together with yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, one third of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make tsatsiki.
Cut remaining cucumber into 1/4-inch pieces and stir together with tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make salsa.
Gently simmer oil, oregano, rosemary, remaining garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss chicken with 3 tablespoons garlic oil and brush one side of bread with remainder.
Heat bread, oiled side up, in a 4-sided sheet pan, covered with foil, 3 to 4 inches from broiler 3 minutes. Uncover and broil, rotating bread for even coloring, until golden in spots, about 2 minutes.
Spread some of tsatsiki on warm bread and top with chicken and some of lettuce and salsa. Serve remaining lettuce, salsa, and tsatsiki on the side.